Microplastics can be potentially toxic and lead to cell damage, inflammatory and immune reactions and metabolic changes, for example.

sources of stress
The term refers to particles made of non-degradable plastic, smaller than five millimeters and not soluble in water.

Microplastics have already been detected in seawater, wastewater, freshwater, food, air and drinking water. Common foods like fish and salt and beverages like water and beer routinely test positive for microparticles. Large amounts are mainly found in water and shellfish. Microplastics enter freshwater in a variety of ways: primarily through surface runoff and wastewater, but also through combined sewer overflows, industrial effluents, decomposed plastic waste and atmospheric debris.

Plastics are widespread in society, so the public often comes into contact with them. Young children are even more exposed to these risks. This is because a large number of children's plastic toys, cups and cutlery contain these toxic particles. Daily use of household items (e.g. plastic cutlery, toothbrushes, cutting boards, cups, etc.) can also lead to increased exposure to microplastics.

Possible health effects
Microplastics can have the following health effects:
- Inflammation of the gastric mucosa
- Microplastics and chemicals can get into human fat cells, tissues and organs
- Influencing hormone levels
- Microplastics can also act as carriers for pathogens such as bacteria, viruses and parasites that are common in ocean ecosystems.
- Symptoms of food poisoning

In addition, the plastic particles contain numerous chemicals that are downright harmful. Microplastics must therefore always be viewed as a health risk.

When people eat seafood, their bodies can absorb microplastics and the toxins they contain. These microplastics and chemicals can enter and damage human fat cells, tissues and organs.

If microplastics are ingested through drinking water, this can lead to inflammation of the gastric mucosa and impair the hormonal balance.

Microplastics can also serve as carriers for pathogens such as bacteria, viruses and parasites that are common in marine ecosystems. This can lead to food poisoning.

In addition, studies have shown that bottled water is significantly contaminated with microplastics, so it would be advisable for consumers not to buy it bottled.